Phone: (Office) +39 0825 299 423 Fax: +39 0825 299 641
CNR People WEB Site: http://www.cnr.it/people/stafania.moccia
Keywords: polyphenols; carotenoids; antioxidant activity; chemopreventive activity; autophagy; nutraceuticals; nanoemulsions
Curriculum EN: (click here to view it)
Attività di Ricerca
Dr. Moccia Stefania graduated in Pharmacy (University of Salerno, Italy) in 2013 with 110/110 cum laude. In 2017 she received PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences (University of Salerno, Italy) with the project “Novel functional foods from local Italian cultivars for consumers’ well-being: from agricultural raw materials to design and development”. Since 2014 she has been working at the Institute of Food Sciences (ISA-CNR) as a contractor and since 2019 as a full-time CNR Researcher for the strategic area “Food Production and Nutrition”.
Her research activity is mainly based on the extraction and characterization of bioactive compounds, in particular polyphenols and carotenoids, from food matrices, on the design and formulation of nutraceuticals including the development of nanoemulsions, nanoparticles, and delivery systems, and subsequent evaluation of their biological activity in preclinical models (cell lines and blood samples). In particular, she studies the chemopreventive and antioxidant activity of bioactive compounds (extracts/ purified fractions) from agri-food matrices for their functional characterization to identify the cellular processes involved and the markers of oxidative stress and aging.
- Russo, G.L., Moccia, S., Russo, M., Spagnuolo, C. (2021). Redox regulation by carotenoids: Evidence and conflicts for their application in cancer. Biochemical pharmacology, 194, 114838, doi:10.1016/j.bcp.2021.114838.
- Tedesco, I., Spagnuolo, C., Russo, G.L., Russo, M., Cervellera, C., Moccia, S. (2021). The Pro-Oxidant Activity of Red Wine Polyphenols Induces an Adaptive Antioxidant Response in Human Erythrocytes. Antioxidants, 10(5):800. doi:10.3390/antiox10050800.
- Russo, M.*, Moccia, S.*, Spagnuolo, C., Tedesco, I., Russo, G.L. (2020). Roles of flavonoids against coronavirus infection. Chem. Biol. Interact, 28;328:109211. doi: 10.1016/j.cbi.2020.109211. *equal contribution
- Moccia, S.*, Russo, M.*, Durante, M., Lenucci, M. S., Mita, G., Russo, G.L. (2020). A carotenoid-enriched extract from pumpkin delays cell proliferation in a human chronic lymphocytic leukemia cell line through the modulation of autophagic flux. Current Research in Biotechnology, 2: 74-82. doi.org/10.1016/j.crbiot.2020.05.001. *equal contribution
- Russo, G.L., Spagnuolo, C., Russo, M., Tedesco, I., Moccia, S., Cervellera, C. (2020). Mechanisms of aging and potential role of selected polyphenols in extending healthspan. Biochem Pharmacol, 173, 113719. doi: 10.1016/j.bcp.2019.113719.
- Moccia, S.*, Siano, F.*, Russo, G.L., Volpe, M.G., La Cara, F., Pacifico, S., Piccolella, S., Picariello, G. (2020). Antiproliferative and antioxidant effect of polar hemp extracts (Cannabis sativa L., Fedora cv.) in human colorectal cell lines. Int J Food Sci Nutr, 71(4), 410-423. doi: 10.1080/09637486.2019.1666804.*equal contribution
- Spagnuolo, C., Moccia, S., Russo, G.L. (2018). Anti-inflammatory effects of flavonoids in neurodegenerative disorders. Eur J Med Chem, 153, 105-115. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmech.2017.09.001.
- Russo, M.*, Moccia, S.*, Bilotto, S.*, Spagnuolo, C., Durante, M., Lenucci, M. S., Mita, G., Volpe, M. G., Russo, G.L. (2017). A Carotenoid Extract from a Southern Italian Cultivar of Pumpkin Triggers Nonprotective Autophagy in Malignant Cells. Oxid Med Cell Longev, 2017, 7468538. doi: 10.1155/2017/7468538. *equal contribution
- Tedesco, I.*, Moccia, S.*, Volpe, S., Alfieri, G., Strollo, D., Bilotto, S., Spagnuolo, C., Di Renzo, M., Aquino, R.P., Russo, G.L. (2016). Red wine activates plasma membrane redox system in human erythrocytes. Free Radic Res, Mar 17:1-13 50(5), 557-569. doi: 10.3109/10715762.2016.1152629. *equal contribution