Research activity of Livia Malorni is mainly focused on development of new proteomic based methodologies for the comprehension of complex biological processes.
Her principal scientific interest is focused on cancer biology in response to environmental stimuli (chemical pollutants or substances naturally present in foods) with particular regard to estrogen responsive breast cancer and melanoma.
She has also experienced significantly in biomolecular mass spectrometry for the study of molecular interaction and supra-molecolar complexes.
In the last few years, she started to focus her interest in secreted proteins (secretome) -applying this experience also to the study of follicular fluids obtained from woman undergoing in vitro fertilization technique – and in volatile metabolome, in order to evaluate its potential in the diagnosing and treatment of different diseases.
Now, she’s working out, in collaboration with a team of engineers, to evaluate the biological effect of nanoparticles derived from controlled combustion or nanoparticles chemically modified to enhance or hide their biological activity.
- Ridolfi R, Cozzolino R, Boscaino F, Malorni L, Canzanella S, Malorni A, Palmieri G, Malorni L AhR (aryl hydrocarbon receptor) polymorphisms: a possible role in TCDD (dioxins) – AhR binding and carcinogenesis. Int.J.Biol., 2014, doi:10.5539/ijb.v6n4p82
- Cozzolino R, De Magistris L, Saggese P, Stocchero M, Martignetti A, Di Stasio M, Malorni A, Marotta R, Boscaino F, Malorni L Use of solid-phase microextraction coupled to gas chromatography-mass spectrometry for determination of urinary volatile organic compounds in autistic children compared with healthy controls. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2014 May 15
- Severino V, Malorni L, Cicatiello AE, D’Esposito V, Longobardi S, Colacurci N, Miraglia N, Sannolo N, Farina A, Chambery A An integrated approach based on multiplexed protein array and iTRAQ labeling for in-depth identification of pathways associated to IVF outcome. PLoS One, 2013 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0077303.
- Rocco M, Malorni L, Cozzolino R, Palmieri G, Rozzo C, Manca A, Parente A, Chambery A A Proteomic Profiling of Human Melanoma Metastatic Cell Line Secretomes. J. Proteome Res. 2011 dx.doi.org/10.1021/pr200511f
- Rocco M, Malorni L, Chambery A, Poerio E, Parente A , Di Maro A A Bowman-Birk inhibitor with anti-elastase activity from Lathyrus sativus L. seeds. Molecular Biosystems 2011 DOI: 10.139/c1mb05141e
- Pieri M, Castiglia L, Miraglia N, Guadagni R, Malorni L, Sannolo N, Acampora A, Della Casa E Study of the fragmentation pattern of ketamine-heptafluorobutyramide by Gas Chromatography/Electron Ionization-Mass Spectrometry. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 2010; 24: 49–56
- Schlosser G, Kačer P, Kuzma M, Szilágyi Z, Sorrentino A, Manzo C, Pizzano R, Malorni L, Pocsfalvi G Coupling immunomagnetic separation on magnetic beads with MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry for the detection of Staphylococcal Enterotoxin B. Appl Environ Microbiol 2007 Nov; 73 (21): 6945-52. Epub 2007 Sep 7.
- Cuccurullo M, Schlosser G, Cacace G, Malorni L, Pocsfalvi G Identification of phosphoproteins and determination of phosphorylation sites by zirconium dioxide enrichment and SELDI-MS/MS. J. Mass Spectrom. 2007; 42: 1069-1078
- Malorni L, Cacace G, Cuccurullo M, Pocsfalvi G, Chambery A, Parente A, Malorni A Proteomic analysis of MCF-7 breast cancer cell line exposed to mitogenic concentration of 17 β-estradiol. Proteomics 2006; 6(22): 5973-82.
- Chambery A, Farina A, Di Maro A, Rossi M, Abbondanza C, Moncharmont B, Malorni L, Cacace G, Pocsfalvi G, Malorni A, Parente A. Proteomic analysis of MCF-7 cell lines expressing the zinc-finger or the proline-rich domain of retinoblastoma-interacting-zinc-finger protein. Journal of Proteome Research 2006; 5 (5):1176-85.