Rosalba Giacco, MD
Direct: +39 0825 299341
Lab: +39 0825 299341
FAX: +39 0825 781585
Research activity is focused on Human Health and Nutrition topics. In particular, the specific expertise is in the field of nutrition and metabolic diseases, such as obesity, metabolic syndrome and diabetes. Main research lines are focused on investigating: 1) Glycemic index of foods; 2) Importance of chemical and physical structure of foods on postprandial metabolism and possible mechanisms of the antihyperglycemic activity of soluble fiber; 3) Effects of whole-grain cereal on cardiovascular risk factors; 3) Effects of dietary polyphenols on metabolic parameters and 4) Evaluation of potential functional properties of red grapes skin polyphenols.
1. Giacco R, Costabile G, Della Pepa G, Anniballi G, Griffo E, Mangione A, Cipriano P, Viscovo D, Clemente G, Landberg R, Pacini G, Rivellese AA, Riccardi G. A whole-grain cereal-based diet lowers postprandial plasma insulin and triglyceride levels in individuals with metabolic syndrome.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2014;24(8):837-44.
2. Annuzzi G, Bozzetto L, Costabile G, Giacco R, Mangione A, Anniballi G, Vitale M, Vetrani C, Cipriano P, Della Corte G, Pasanisi F, Riccardi G, Rivellese AA. Diets naturally rich in polyphenols improve fasting and postprandial dyslipidemia and reduce oxidative stress: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2014;99(3):463-71.
3. Giacco R, Lappi J, Costabile G, Kolehmainen M, Schwab U, Landberg R, Uusitupa M, Poutanen K, Pacini G, Rivellese AA, Riccardi G, Mykkänen H. Effects of rye and whole wheat versus refined cereal foods on metabolic risk factors: a randomised controlled two-centre intervention study. Clin Nutr. 2013;32(6):941-9.
4. Giacco R, Della Pepa G, Luongo D, Riccardi G.Whole grain intake in relation to body weight: from epidemiological evidence to clinical trials. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2011;21(12):901-8.
5. Giacco R, Clemente G, Cipriano D, Luongo D, Viscovo D, Patti L, Di Marino L, Giacco A, Naviglio D, Bianchi MA, Ciati R, Brighenti F, Rivellese AA, Riccardi G. Effects of the regular consumption of wholemeal wheat foods on cardiovascular risk factors in healthy people. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2010;20(3):186-94.
6. Riccardi G, Rivellese AA, Giacco R. Role of glycemic index and glycemic load in the healthy state, in prediabetes, and in diabetes. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008;87(1):269S-274S.
7. Rivellese AA, Giacco R, Annuzzi G, De Natale C, Patti L, Di Marino L, Minerva V, Costabile G, Santangelo C, Masella R, Riccardi G.Effects of monounsaturated vs. saturated fat on postprandial lipemia and adipose tissue lipases in type 2 diabetes. Clin Nutr. 2008;27(1):133-41.
8. Giacco R, Cuomo V, Vessby B, Uusitupa M, Hermansen K, Meyer BJ, Riccardi G, Rivellese AA; KANWU Study Group. Fish oil, insulin sensitivity, insulin secretion and glucose tolerance in healthy people: is there any effect of fish oil supplementation in relation to the type of background diet and habitual dietary intake of n-6 and n-3 fatty acids? Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2007;17(8):572-80.
9. Riccardi G, Giacco R, Rivellese AA. Dietary fat, insulin sensitivity and the metabolic syndrome. Clin Nutr. 2004;23(4):447-56.
10. Giacco R, Clemente G, Busiello L, Lasorella G, Rivieccio AM, Rivellese AA, Riccardi G. Insulin sensitivity is increased and fat oxidation after a high-fat meal is reduced in normal-weight healthy men with strong familial predisposition to overweight. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004; 28(2):342-8.