Teresa Zotta, PhD
Direct: +39 0825 299231
Lab: +39 0825 299214-215
FAX: +39 0825 781585
She has working relationships with national and international research groups, covering the following research areas:
1. Food microbiology: taxonomic, physiological and technological characterization of microflora isolated from fermented (dairy, baked, meat vegetable) products; microbiology of fresh produce. Use of PCR-based techniques for taxonomic and genetic polymorphism studies.
2. Stress response of lactic acid bacteria: use of fluorescence microscopy to assess the cell damage (membrane integrity and metabolic activity), SDS-PAGE and 2D-E techniques to assess the changes in protein profile (expression of protein involved in general and specific stress response mechanisms), and Real Time-PCR to evaluate the changes in gene expression.
3. Metabolism of lactic acid bacteria: study of regulation and activation of metabolic pathways in lactic acid bacteria through 2D-E, RT-PCR, NMR spectroscopy and chromatographic techniques. Investigation of pathways for organic acid and amino acid biosynthesis.
4. Predictive microbiology: optimization of fermentation processes (batch, fed-batch and continuous propagations of cell cultures in bioreactors) and use of predictive mathematical models to describe the effect of environmental factors on the microbial growth.
5. Application of multivariate statistical methods to identify and characterize microbial communities and to analyse the relationship between stress response patterns and changes in genotypic and proteomic profiles.
Zotta T, Piraino P, Ricciardi A, McSweeney PLH, Parente E (2006) Proteolysis in model sourdough fermentation. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 54, 2567-2574. PMID: 16569045
Zotta T, Ricciardi A, Parente E (2007) Enzymatic activities of lactic acid bacteria isolated from Cornetto di Matera sourdoughs. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 115, 165-172. PMID: 17174429
Zotta T, Ricciardi A, Rossano R, Parente E (2008) Urease production by Streptococcus thermophilus. Food Microbiology, 25, 113-119. PMID: 17993384
Zotta T, Ricciardi A, Ciocia F, Rossano R, Parente E (2008) Diversity of stress responses in dairy thermophilic streptococci. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 124, 34-42. PMID: 18407366
Zotta T, Asterinou K, Rossano R, Ricciardi A, Varcamonti M, Parente E (2009) Effect of inactivation of stress response regulators on the growth and survival of Streptococcus thermophilus Sfi39. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 129, 211-220. PMID: 19128851
Ricciardi A, Parente E, Zotta T (2009) Modelling the growth of Weissella cibaria as a function of fermentation conditions. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 107, 1528-1535. PMID: 19426261
Zotta T, Ricciardi A, Guidone A, Sacco M, Muscariello L, Mazzeo MF, Cacace G, Parente E (2012) Inactivation of ccpA and aeration affect growth, metabolite production and stress tolerance in Lactobacillus plantarum WCFS1. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 155, 51-59. PMID: 22326142
Zotta T, Guidone A, Ianniello RG, Parente E, Ricciardi A (2013) Temperature and respiration affect the growth and stress resistance of Lactobacillus plantarum C17. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 115, 848-858. PMID: 23782242
Zotta T, Ianniello RG, Guidone A, Parente E, Ricciardi A (2014) Selection of mutants tolerant of oxidative stress from respiratory cultures of Lactobacillus plantarum C17. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 116, 632-643. PMID: 24267916
Zotta T, Ricciardi A, Ianniello RG, Parente E, Reale A, Rossi F, Iacumin L, Comi G, Coppola R (2014) Assessment of aerobic and respiratory growth in the Lactobacillus casei group. PLoS One, 9, e99189. PMID: 24918811
Ianniello RG, Ricciardi A, Parente E, Tramutola A, Reale R, Zotta T (2014) Aeration and supplementation with heme and menaquinone affect survival to stresses and antioxidant capability of Lactobacillus casei strains. LTW-Food Science and Technology, 60, 817-824. Link
Research Area: FOOD
Reserch Group: Food Microbiology
Anna Reale (Researcher)
Tiziana Di Renzo (Researcher)
Teresa Zotta (Researcher)
Marco Preziuso (Fellow)
Fabiana Perrone (Undergraduate)
Daniele Pagnotta (Undergraduate)